Wednesday, March 28, 2007

Starting to Write Major Project

Since I handed in the proposal last week, I have been reading and decided that now it is time to start writing something! So I have started by scoping out the topics that I would like to cover in my report:
Introduction
Chap 1: Cross Cultural Studies - Data Collection and Validation Methods
Chap 2: Hofstede’s 5 dimensional model
Chap 3: Trompenaar’s 7 dimensional model

Chap 4: Detailed explanation of Triandis’ theory
Chap 5: Intercultural communication and the Engineer
Chap 6: Comparison of Western culture to Eastern culture
Conclusion
Now of course these can be changed and modified as needs be, this is just as a starting point. I am thinking that there could be too much theory as Chapters 1-4 are all theoretical and it will only be in Chapter 5 and 6 where I really start to get into the discussion of the theory in applications. I believe it is necessary though to include this theoretical foundation so that the reader can understand the concept of cultural dimensions and the various theories that are around.

At the moment I have started writing Chapter 2 as I am reviewing Hofstede's book Cultures Consequence and also Cultures and Organisations: Software of the Mind. I hope to have a rough draft of chapter 1 and 2 to hand in on Monday for review. Moreso that Pam can see if I am missing any particular area or should modify the current sections.

No comments: