Monday, April 16, 2007

Second draft of Capstone complete

So far I am up to date with my progress for this paper. However, I have exams coming up in May so I really want to get as much as I can done before my exams. In saying that I will still have 3 weeks to finish my project after my last exam.

These last 2 weeks I have written the chapter on Trompenaars methodology and on critiquing both methodologies. It took me quite a while to find the critique articles using the database for UTS online library and DTU's online library, however, I was able to find all the articles I need for the time being. I actually read some very interesting critique of Dr Brendan McSweeney on Hofstede's model and Hofstede wrote a response to McSweeney's original and McSweeney wrote a rebuttal. Very interesting reading at how academics use subtleties in their critiques to show disrespect for each others work. In reading this series of journal articles it is very obvious that McSweeney disagrees with Hofstede's complete approach at attempting to measure culture differences. McSweeney does not offer an alternative, he just offers criticism of Hofstedes method. Now Hofstede even admits that his methodology is not the best and he challenges others to improve or find a better way.

I have found it quite difficult when reading these critiques not to be biased myself, I think I tend to like Hofstede's model and dislike Trompenaars so I like to show the more positive aspects of Hofstede's model. I will make a concerted attempt to stay neutral and let the "experts" fight it out, or prove their points.

So for the next 2 weeks my goal will be to start writing Chapter 5 which is intercultural communication. This section will start applying the theory that has been presented and critiqued in the previous chapters and will start to test the hypothesis of whether intercultural communication is relevant to the engineer.

No comments: