Saturday, May 5, 2007

Insight into Japanese Culture

I have started working on the sixth and final chapter, which is a comparison of Eastern to Western cultures and in particular Japan to Australia. I am still debating whether to focus on Australia or choose America. There is a lot of literature for America and I also have a bias from Australian culture. Then on the other hand one of the first steps in gaining intercultural competence is to attempt to view your own culture from an external point of view so this could be important that I attempt to do that for Australia. For the moment I am focusing on Japan. I have decided to characterise the Japanese culture in the models that I have presented in the previous chapters, so where Japan fits in on the Hofstede model and identify their dilemmas in the Trompenaars model and how Japan attempts to reconcile these dilemmas. I am also focusing in particular on engineering and will have a special focus of women engineers.

I am getting quite busy with exams so this section will probably take a bit of time. I have three full weeks to work on this project in July so I can afford to work a bit slowly throughout May and make sure that I pass my subjects here!

I still need to work on the intercultural communication chapter by adding a practical exercise at the end that I have yet to decide on.

No comments: